Quote

" I'm a hungry woman...
...But don't you dare forget
You gotta feed my head too
"

Hungry Woman Blues II, Gaye Adegbalola

Sunday 8 March 2020

A Pair of Poems for IWD: Part 1

Ladies What Laugh


Have you ever noticed that
     Whenever you get a group of women together
          - all women -
     There will always be laughter?
Across generations
     Across cultures and nationalities
     Nations, the North and the South even
Also...

We are an active audience
We listen
     Observe
          Feel
               Understand
                    Express
Quietly to our neighbours
Politely, with a raised hand
Not so quietly or politely
     For the joy of the group
          Or its excitement
               Anger
                    Frustration
                         Exasperation

Some things you just can’t keep in
     Solidarity, wonder, a good question
     A really witty remark
They burst out, they can’t be contained

Some things you can’t let out

We are women
(We are humans)
Where there are women
(Where there are humans)
There is empathy
There is awareness
There is acute awareness of the group
Of the group dynamics
Of the ups and downs
     The flow
          The song
               The balance

We come with an open heart
We question with an open mind
We seek to find
     The best for all
     Respect for all
And always - always - room to laugh

Written 27/2/18

Thanks to the Sotonettes whose meeting inspired this, to all the amazing ladies in Guiding who laid its foundations, to Debs who spoke so brilliantly at that meeting, to Maddy for inviting me, to Emily for coming with me, and to Holly for giving me the confidence to share it.

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I laugh when things get too bad to bear,
    somehow, even if it's only pretense.
    If I laugh at myself as the butt of the joke
    the worst becomes better once I amuse all my friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely one approach! Laughter can be so powerful!

      Delete